Alternative Dispute Resolution
The European Union has set up a consumer support website so that they can lodge their complaints about any dispute they are involved in. In this way, we provide all the information so that you can exercise your right of complaint with an official, third and impartial entity to the process in question, called "Alternative Consumer Dispute Resolution Entity".


What is Alternative Consumer Dispute Resolution and What are Alternative Consumer Dispute Resolution Entities?
Alternative Dispute Resolution covers mediation, conciliation and arbitration of consumer disputes in Portugal. Ral entities are the entities authorized to mediate, conciliation and arbitration that must be included in the list of ADR entities provided for by Law No. 144/2015. They are independent entities with specialised staff, which, impartially, on the one hand, help the consumer and the company to reach an amicable solution through mediation or conciliation or, on the other hand, if such an agreement is not reached, allow a decision to be taken by arbitrators in a simple and rapid process, through arbitration.


When can I resort to out-of-court dispute resolution through an ADR entity?
In the face of a problem with a supplier of goods or service provider, and in the event that no agreement is reached, the consumer may initiate proceedings against the supplier with an ADR entity, provided that:
- Are they initiated by a consumer against a supplier of goods or service providers;
- Respect contractual obligations resulting from contracts for the purchase and sale or services;
- The contract is concluded between a supplier of goods or service providers and consumers established and resident, respectively, in Portugal and the European Union.


Which Alternative Consumer Dispute Resolution entity can you use because of a dispute?
CNIACC - National Center for Information and Arbitration of Consumer Disputes? Website:


For more information on Consumer Portal: